Roaming Cats

Council has no power to collect cats that roam onto your property (eg, a neighbour's cat) as there are no restrictions on cats roaming other than in prohibited areas such as food preparation/consumption areas and wildlife protection areas as outlined in the Companion Animals Act 1998.

What you can report to us

If a cat is a nuisance for any of the following reasons you can report it:

  • Constant excessive noise.
  • Repeated damaging of property.
  • Attacking native wildlife.

You need to advise council of the exact address of the nuisance cat and must also have witnessed the actual event that took place. 

More information about a nuisance cat can be found in the Companion Animals Act 1998.

Report a nuisance cat


Address: ,

More information



Nuisance Cats

Did this page help you?

We monitor feedback and will respond to your comments if you include your email address.