4 - Complete the required documents

Application documents

Council has different application documents for different development types.

Each application needs to include all of the relevant information shown in the required information checklist for that development type. For example, nearly all development will need a construction management plan showing a materials storage location. All residential development requiring a BASIX certificate will need to include a copy of the certificate and all relevant BASIX commitments on the plans.

Each application type also includes other required documents such as owner's consent and cost assessment.

Choose the appropriate application documents for your application from the following:

Owner's consent/signature

You must obtain the consent of all landowners.  If there is more than one owner, every owner must sign.  If the owner is a company or owners’ corporation, the application must be signed by an authorised person under common seal.  If the application form is not signed by the landowner/s and by you as the applicant, we cannot accept it.

If your property is a strata unit, and you are proposing any development beyond your unit entitlement, you will need to get the approval of the owners’ corporation.  

If you've recently purchased the property, it's possible that council will not yet have received formal notice of the sale, and therefore the previous owner will still be listed as the owner in our records.  In this case, it is important for you to provide either a letter from your solicitor or other evidence demonstrating that the ownership has changed.

If one or more of the owners' names has changed (such as when getting married) but the change of ownership has not yet been updated by the NSW Land Registry Services, we will need evidence confirming the change of name (such as a driver’s licence or marriage certificate).

For development below the mean high water mark, such as jetties, ramps and pontoons, the landowner is usually the NSW Government.  You will need its consent as landowner before lodging the development application. 

Owners/applicants declaration of affiliations

For council to ensure the highest integrity in the development application process, property owners and development applicants are required to declare all affiliations or associations they had with councillor/s or council staff over the past 2 years.

General declaration

You must declare all affiliations or associations with councillor/s or council staff which may lead a reasonable person to believe that a councillor or staff member may not be able to deal with your application in an impartial manner.  This includes all affiliations or association with a councillor/s or member/s of staff where you:

  • Are a Council employee
  • Have a friendship, personal or family relationship.
  • Have a shared membership in a club, political party or organisation.
  • Have business dealings with a councillor/s or member/s of staff outside their official council role.
  • Have provided a gift, benefit, loan, payment or hospitality.

Political donations or gifts

If you have made a political donation or a gift within two years before the date of your application, you must disclose the political donations and gifts made by yourself or other persons with a financial interest in this application.  The information about political donations that must be disclosed is the same as that required by the Election Funding Authority.  You must disclose the name of the person to whom the gift was made, the date, name, address of the person making the gift, and the amount or value of that gift.  


If you also have business dealings with council or if you lobby council, please abide by council’s Statement of Business Ethics and Code of Conduct for Lobbyists which outline council’s expectations for managing those relationships and includes information about how to register as a lobbyist.

Make a lobbyist declaration

    Description of proposed development

    You must describe the proposed development in detail.  Tell us exactly what you propose to do.  If you can’t describe your proposal in the space provided in the Planning Portal, you will need to include a full description in your Statement of Environmental Effects.

    Estimated cost of development

    The estimated value of the development must be based on industry recognised prices, including cost for materials and all labour for design, construction and/or demolition and GST.  Council will check the estimated cost provided on the application form.  If the estimate is understated, the figure will need to be adjusted.  Additional application fees may then be needed.

    The cost assessment sheet at the end of the application form will also need to be completed.  In this regard, council has endorsed the state government’s recommended approach to estimating the cost of development:

    Value of development of method of cost assessment  Method of cost assessment  
    Equal to or less than $100,000 Estimated cost and methodology provided by either the applicant or a suitably qualified person*
    Greater than $100,000 and equal to or less than $3 million Estimated cost and methodology provided by a suitably qualified person*
    Greater than $3 million A detailed cost report provided by a registered quantity surveyor

    * A suitably qualified person is a builder who is licensed to undertake the proposed works, a registered architect, a qualified and accredited building designer, a registered quantity surveyor or a person who is licensed and has the relevant qualifications and proven experience in costing development works at least to a similar scale and type as is proposed.

    Other agency approvals / Integrated development

    Under the planning laws you must indicate in the Planning Portal whether you need an approval from another government agency in addition to development consent.  If your proposal needs another approval, we will deal with it as 'integrated development'.

    Other approvals that may be needed include the following:

    If you are unsure whether another approval is needed, please consult the relevant agency.  Similarly, if your proposal involves any of the above matters, we strongly recommend that you consult with the agency concerned before you lodge your application.

    Applications for integrated development will be referred to the relevant agency to obtain their ‘general terms of approval'.  These requirements will then be incorporated in the conditions of any development consent issued by council.

    An extra fee (for each separate approval body) is needed for integrated development.  The additional fee payable to an approval body must be paid via the NSW Planning Portal. The Portal will email you a payment link when Council refers the application to the approval body for assessment.


    Address: ,

    More information

    Policies and documents

    DA Guide Consideration of Development Applications Submitted by Council Policy Code of Conduct Statement of Business Ethics Guide Political Donations and Gifts


    Declare a Political Gift or Donation (Neighbour Notification) Register as a Lobbyist with Council



    Declaration of Political Donations, Gifts Lobbyist Registration DA - New Dwellings and Major Alterations DA - Minor Alterations and Swimming Pools DA - Major Residential DA - Commercial, Industrial DA - Change of Use DA - Community and Public Development DA - Subdivisions DA - Advertising Signs DA - Demolition


    DA Tracker

    Did this page help you?

    We monitor feedback and will respond to your comments if you include your email address.