A new era for Sutherland Entertainment Centre.
Works start date:
Works end date:
22 & 30 Eton Street, Sutherland
View on map
About the project
We are excited to announce that we are upgrading the Sutherland Entertainment Centre.
For over 40 years, Sutherland Entertainment Centre has brought drama, song, music, dance and more to residents and visitors. We are refurbishing the Centre to transform it into a vibrant space for the performing arts in the heart of our community.
This important work will ensure our arts and performance culture will continue now and into the future.
- A fully refurbished theatre with tiered comfortable seating for over 680 guests
- New flexible teaching and rehearsal space with enhanced back-of-house areas
- Improved amenities and circulation space
- A larger foyer with enhanced accessibility and services, including three new lifts and improved amenities
- A larger stage with a full fly-tower to cater for diverse performances
- A new entry forecourt incorporating flexible outdoor event space amongst a refreshed Peace Park
- New energy efficient and sustainable heating, cooling and lighting systems
- Repairs to the current building including the roof.
We can’t wait to see these improvements come to life and share this new centre with the community!
- Tender and award - May to December 2020
- Construction - January 2021 to Late 2022
- Opening – Late 2022
The work is being delivered by ADCO Constructions with project management by Root Partnerships. The architect for the project is Chrofi NBRS Architecture.
The building and parts of Peace Park will be closed during construction.
Pedestrian access remains mostly unchanged. The farmers market and all other businesses will continue as normal throughout the work.
We will keep you updated during the work and thank you for your patience.
Floor Plans - Refurbishment.pdf (1.4MB)
Community Notification Flyer
As part of the State Significant Development Application, the following documents are publically available. Please contact Council direct, due to the file size (360MB).
- Notification to DPIE on the commencement of physical work
- Statutory approvals
- Approved strategies, plans and programs
- Environmental reporting
- Comprehensive summary of monitoring results
- Summary of current stage and progress
- Complaints register
- Environmental audit reports
For all questions about the project, please contact Council:
By using the "Did this help?" link at the bottom of this page, or
T: 02 9710 0333, or Email directly to ProjectSECUpgrade@ssc.nsw.gov.au
The project is being funded from Section 96 contributions, SUEZ and borrowings. Council has set aside $41,159 million to plan, design and refurbish the Sutherland Entertainment Centre which includes a refreshment to Peace Park.
The upgrade work will be done using good practice energy, environmental and ecological sustainability initiatives, including:
- Mass timber construction is recognised as significant in reducing the carbon footprint as it has low embodied energy and is a renewable resource.
- Retaining the majority of the structure reduces the carbon footprint.
- Solar panels to reduce energy consumption.
- Optimised mechanical plant size utilising high efficiency equipment to minimise energy consumption.
- High efficiency LED lighting.
- Use of variable speed drives to control and minimise energy use.
- High performance façade to limit heat entering the building and reducing air conditioning energy consumption.
- Reuse of rainwater for irrigation of Peace Park.
22 Nov 2018 - A new Era for Sutherland Entertainment Centre
01 May 2019 - Sutherland Entertainment Centre Architect Announced
For more information about performing arts in the Sutherland Shire see our arts and culture page .