Improvements to the shopping precinct in Oak Road.
Reason for works
The project arises from a Voluntary Planning Agreement for the South Village Development, which included:
”Provision of a monetary Development Contribution in the amount of $500,000 for the beautification of the Kirrawee Shopping Precinct [as determined by the Council].
To read more about the VPA, visit our website (link to Voluntary-Planning-Agreements ).
Following two rounds of community consultation (outlined below), the consultation results were analysed and a scope of works determined.
Consultation with Kirrawee business community – November 2019
The Kirrawee business community were invited to attend one of two workshops to gather ideas for improving Kirrawee Centre.
Attendees were asked to vote on their preferred ideas in the categories of Place Identity, Signage, Technology and Parking & Traffic, or propose new ideas.
Eleven business owners attended over the two sessions. The top five ideas were:
- More parking
- Variable time limit parking between 1P - 3P
- Return & Earn recycling station
- Decorative lighting
- Flora Street angle parking
Consultation with Kirrawee resident community – February 2020
Kirrawee residents were invited to complete an online survey or attend a drop-in information session to gather feedback on how to improve the Centre’s facilities. For the results of the Community Consultation see the PDF file attached above.
Scope of works
This scope of works include:
- New seasonal banners (Completed)
- New street art – mural (Completed)
- Street lighting upgrade
- New lighting to pedestrian crossing
- Landscape works – seating, planting areas, bike racks
- Inclusion of more short term parking
- Oak Road bridge – footpath widening (pending approval)
- Centre Signage
• Stakeholder and Community Consultation – October 2019 to February 2020 (Completed)
• Concept design - March to October 2020 (Completed)
• Banner installation – December 2020 (Completed)
• Detailed design - November 2020 to February 2021 (Completed)
• Street art (mural) – February 2021 (Completed)
• Procurement for landscaping & lighting - March – April 2021
• Construction (Stage 1 - landscaping & lighting) – May – July 2021
• Construction (Stage 2 - Oak Road bridge works) – 2022 (pending approvals)
• Centre Signage (southern entry) – following intersection works on President Avenue
Public impacts during construction
Public impacts during construction:
- The footpaths will remain open, however portions of the footpath will be fenced for limited durations as we undertake each component of the works. Pedestrian detours will be in place on these occasions.
- There may be some inconvenience to parking and vehicular access whilst materials are delivered to and from the site.
- There will be some additional noise during construction, as we undertake the streetscape upgrade.
We understand that this work may have an impact on the public and apologise for any inconvenience. We appreciate your cooperation and patience whilst we carry out these essential works.
This project is fully funded from developer contributions.