Bushfire (BAL) Certificate

You will need a bushfire certificate (Bushfire Attack Level (BAL) Risk Assessment Certificate) if you are planning on doing complying development in bushfire prone land.  

The state government allows complying development certificates to be issued on low risk bush fire prone land.  Council is authorised to identify such land, and can do so by issuing a BAL certificate.

LEP - bushfire prone land in the Shire

When to apply for a BAL certificate

If you are intending to apply for a complying development certificate on bushfire prone land you should apply for a BAL certificate before designing your proposal. This will enable you and your designer to take into account any relevant bush fire requirements.  If council's assessment determines that the bushfire attack level is BAL-40 or BAL-FZ, you will need to lodge a development application for your proposal rather than a complying development certificate.

The NSW Rural Fire Service website has information about complying development on bushfire prone land.


The fee for a BAL certificate is $400.

Apply for a Bushfire Attack Risk Assessment Certificate



Address: ,

More information


Bushfire Certificate



Bush Fire Attack Risk Assessment Certificate (BAL)

Did this page help you?

We monitor feedback and will respond to your comments if you include your email address.