Public Interest Disclosures (PIDs)

Webpage banner.jpg


The Public Interest Disclosures Act 1994 (PID Act) sets in place a system to encourage public officials to report serious wrongdoing.  It provides an internal reporting system to report certain types of wrongdoing, classified as ‘public interest disclosures’, without fear of reprisal.

For more detailed information please see Council’s Public Interest Disclosure Policy.

For the purposes of a Public Interest Disclosure (PID), a public official covers all employees of Council (including casual), subcontractors, certain volunteers, committee members and any other person who performs official functions for Council whose conduct could be investigated.

Council supports public officials who wish to report corrupt conduct, maladministration or serious and substantial waste.  There are five categories of serious wrongdoing that are managed under the PID Act and can be reported as a Public Interest Disclosure.  If you honestly believe, on reasonable grounds, that you have information that shows or tends to show:

  • Corrupt Conduct
  • Serious Maladministration
  • Local Government Pecuniary Interest Contravention (e.g. failure to declare a personal financial interest)
  • Breach of the Government Information and Privacy (GIPA) Act (e.g. failure to comply with the system through which people can access government information)
  • Serious & Substantial Waste of Public Money

Council encourages you to report this type of wrongdoing as a Public Interest Disclosure.

Our online Public Interest Disclosure reporting form is available here. Once completed and submitted the online form will be sent to a Confidential mailbox.

If you would prefer to provide a written disclosure you can do so by printing and completing the form available below and sending it to the Disclosure Coordinator, Sutherland Shire Council, Locked Bag 17, Sutherland, 1499.  The envelope should be marked ‘Confidential’.  

Download printable PDF form

It is important to note that an anonymous disclosure may not prevent you from being identified. If Council does not know who made the report, it is very difficult to prevent any reprisal action should others identify you.

If you do not wish to submit your Public Interest Disclosure via Council we respect your decision to report alleged wrongdoing to one of the following external investigating authorities:-

NSW Ombudsman - for maladministration

Independent Commission Against Corruption- for corrupt conduct

Information & Privacy Commissioner (NSW) - for breaches of the GIPA Act

Office of Local Government - for pecuniary interest contravention

NSW Audit Office - for serious and substantial waste


For more information, please contact Council’s Public Interest Disclosures Coordinator:


Alternatively, lodge your report online here


Address: ,

More information



Did this page help you?

We monitor feedback and will respond to your comments if you include your email address.