A lobbyist is a person, company/organisation who conducts lobbying activities on behalf of a third party client or whose employees conduct lobbying activities on behalf of a third party client.
Lobbying is a legitimate activity. Lobbyists can help individuals and organisations communicate their views on matters of public interest to council. In the interests of transparency and integrity of decision making, lobbyists are encouraged to register any lobbying activity with council.
Council's Register of Lobbyists records the details of lobbyists who have voluntarily registered with council.
Current lobbyists on register
||Issue or matter on
which council will be lobbied
|Individual or organisation who has engaged the lobbyist
||Date of registration
||Australand/Breen Holdings proposed development at Kurnell
||22 July 2009
Register as a lobbyist with council
- Disclose gifts or political donations relating to planning applications or public submissions
- Use all reasonable endeavours to satisfy themselves of the truth and accuracy of all statements and information provided by them to clients whom they represent, the wider public and council officials
- Not make misleading, exaggerated or extravagant claims about the nature or extent of their access to council officials or any other person
- Comply with council's Statement of Business Ethics
- Inform any council official that they are a lobbyist or an employee/contractor/person engaged by a lobbyist
- Advise whether they are listed on council's lobbyist register
- Advise the name of their client(s)
- Advise the nature of their lobbying activity
Councillors, staff and delegates
Councillors, staff and delegates of council are obliged to comply with council's Code of Conduct and other policies in their interaction with all members of the public, including lobbyists. These obligations apply whether or not the individual or organisation is registered as a lobbyist.
Policies and documents
Access to Information Policy
Code of Conduct
Statement of Business Ethics
Fraud and Corruption Prevention Policy
Enquiries can be directed to Governance Team Leader on or