In 2021, Sutherland Shire Council will be awarding the Environmental Citizen of the Year award as part of the Australia Day Awards Program. The award celebrates community champions, everyday individuals and organisations working towards bettering the environment through litter reduction or implementing local environmental initiatives.
After Australia Day 2021, the winners details will be sent to the Australia Day Council of NSW (ADCNSW) and will go in the running to be selected for the state Environmental Citizen of the Year Award.
For further information please see:
2021 Environmental Citizen Award Information Pack
Monday 28th September 2020, 5:00pm AEST
Friday 20th November 2020, 5:00pm AEST
Winner Announced at Mayoral Reception
The Mayor will recognise the award (winner) in his Australia Day speech.
The awards is open to:
- Any person who is a resident of the Sutherland Shire at the time of nomination
- All community groups based and operating in the Sutherland Shire
Each nomination requires the following
- 1 x 300 word (max) synopsis
- 1 x 2,500 word (max) submission report
- Photographs (3 max) relating to the project and/or people involved in the project
- Completed entry form with contact details
Tips for your entry
- Provide a clear, concise and reader friendly submission
- Structure your submission to clearly address each criteria
- Highlight your achievements in your submission
- Back up your claims, provide clear evidence
- Demonstrate measurable results
- State why you should win
- Demonstrate innovation
- Proof read your work
How to submit your entry
Entries need to be submitted using the following online entry form:
Environmental Citizen of the Year nomination form
Please note that you cannot return to the online entry form once you have commenced filling out the fields. Please ensure that you have read the entry criteria and the entry process below, and have all necessary information and materials for your entry before beginning the online entry form.
What happens after I’ve submitted?
After submitting your entry you will receive an email confirming the receipt of your entry.
You will be kept up to date with Awards information through the primary contact details supplied on the entry form.
The winner will receive an invitation to attend the Awards Presentation Dinner in December 2020. Winners will be announced during the Mayors Australia Day speech in January 2021.
Enquiries can be directed to Environmental Science Unit on 9710 0561 or