Outdoor Dining Areas

Who can apply for an Outdoor Dining Area

If you are a cafe or restaurant owner and are wanting to use the footpath area outside your shop to place tables and chairs. Businesses must have and maintain public liability insurance with a minimum cover of $10 million.

Do I need Council Approval?

Yes. The area you are requesting approval for will be assessed to check that it is suitable. The approval of the outdoor dining areas is based on the width of the footpath, the need to provide an unimpeded corridor for safe pedestrian movement and the parking and traffic situation adjacent to the kerb line. The development consent for your business must not exclude outdoor dining in order for you to obtain a permit.

Permissible Locations

Outdoor dining is only permitted in Zones B1 Neighbourhood Centre, B2 Local Centre or B3 Commercial Centre. Check which zone your business is in here Shire Maps.


All monthly rental fees and application fee for outdoor dining have been waived until 30 June 2022.

When can I place my tables and chairs out?

The hours of operation are restricted to the hours indicated in the development consent for the adjoining food premises. In support of business recovery as result of the covid-19 pandemic Council will temporarily relax the enforcement of development consent conditions which limit the hours of use of alfresco areas. The hours of use cannot exceed the permitted hours of operation for the whole of the venue or 11:30pm, whichever is earlier.

What sort of furniture can I use?

All furniture used must comply with Australian Standard 1170. The design of chairs, tables and umbrellas shall be visually attractive and be of high quality. Colours and styles shall be in accordance with any Environmental specification for a centre or locality. Umbrellas shall be safely anchored and fixed to tables to ensure stability in wind gusts.

What do I need to provide Council when applying?

You muse provide a plan that shows the dimension of proposed Outdoor Dining Area, copy of current public liability insurance certificate and copy of DA approval for the property/business.

What happens if my application is approved?

If approval is given you will receive an approval letter confirming the approved area and rental fee. You will be asked to pay a security deposit equivalent to 3 months rental and your first rental fee.
You can elect to pay your fee annually, quarterly or monthly.

How long does my approval last?

Approvals are issued for up to a 12 month period. Renewals are sent at the end of each financial year.

Temporary Outdoor Dining Approval

Council is providing temporary approval under the Roads Act 1993 for businesses to expand trading on the public footpath/space during times when Public Health orders permit. This additional space can be approved for additional tables and chairs to be utilised for outdoor dining.

Online Application for outdoor dining permit


Address: ,

More information

Policies and documents

Schedule of Fees and Charges


Enquiries can be directed to Land Management Officer on 9710 0848. or

Did this page help you?

We monitor feedback and will respond to your comments if you include your email address.